Addressing Sexual Violence
- Men Stopping Violence’s Definition of Male Sexual Violence Against Women: Implications for Prevention and Intervention (Douglas, Giordano, Loughlin, Men Stopping Violence, 2020)
- Seeding Generations: New Strategies Towards Services for People who Abuse (Shah, 2017)
- Creative Interventions Toolkit: A Practical Guide to Stop Interpersonal Violence (Creative Interventions, 2012)
- Healing Together: Shifting Approaches to End Intimate Partner Violence (PolicyLink, 2019)
- Resources from NYC Transformative Justice Hub
- Fuerza Unida: An Approach for Engaging Communities (Casa de Esperanza, 2013)
- Future Directions for BIPs: Examining the Power of Male Peer Support and Building Alternative Support Communities (Hart, 2009)
- See more...
- Webinar: Comprehensive Assessment in Abusive Partner Intervention Work (Center for Court Innovation, 2020)
- Analysis of Intimate Partner Violence Testing Instruments (Hall, 2020)
- Healing Together: Organizational Self-Assessment (Alliance for Boys and Men of Color)
- Adult Hope Scale (Snyder et al., 1991)
Court Collaboration and Response
- Compliance Monitoring in Domestic Violence Cases: A Guide for Courts (Center for Court Innovation, 2020)
- Fact Sheet: Domestic Violence Court Compliance Monitoring (Center for Court Innovation, 2013)
- 10 Things Courts Should Know About Their Local Intervention Programs for Abusive Partners (Thomforde-Hasuer, Center for Court innovation, 2017)
- What Courts Should Know: Trends in Intervention Programming for Abusive Partners (Thomforde-Hasuer, Center for Court innovation, 2017)
- Bail Reform and Intimate Partner Violence in Maine (Walton, 2019)
- See more...
- Integrating the Principles of Effective Intervention into Batterer Intervention Programming: The Case for Moving Toward More Evidence-Based Programming (Radatz & Wright, 2015)
- Domestic Violence Perpetrator Programs – Steps Towards Change: Project Mirabal Final Report (Kelly & Westmarland, 2015)
- Still Looking for Mechanisms: A Realist Review of Batterer Intervention Programs (Velonis et al., 2018)
- Breaking the Mold: Evaluating a Non-Punitive Domestic Violence Intervention Program (Crockett et al., 2015)
- Exploring Factors That Contribute to Positive Change in a Diverse, Group-Based Male Batterer Intervention Program: Using Qualitative Data to Inform Implementation and Adaptation Efforts (Holtrop et al., 2015)
- Compilation of Edward Gondolf’s Research (Gondolf, 1991-2018)
- See more...
- The Batterer Intervention Facilitators Tool Box (Family Peace Initiative, 2016-Present)
- What is Motivational Interviewing? (Rollnick and Miller, 1995)
- Elements Needed for Quality Batterer Intervention Programs: Perspectives of Professionals Who Deal with Intimate Partner Violence (Morrison et al., 2016)
- Twenty Tips for Co-Facilitating Batterer Intervention Groups (Ohio Domestic Violence Network, 2014)
- CBT Guide for Intimate Partner Violence (Berliner, Merchant, Roberts, and Martin, 2020)
- Effects of Motivational Enhancement on Immediate Outcomes of Batterer Intervention (Scott et al., 2011)
- Institute for Leadership in Education Development (I-LED)
- [Podcast] In Practice: Taking a Holistic Approach with Domestic Violence Offenders (Center for Court Innovation featuring James Henderson and Aeron Muckala, 2019)
- Creating a Trauma-Informed Abusive Partner Intervention Program (Criminal Justice Investment Initiative, 2021)
- CBT Guide for Intimate Partner Violence (Berliner, Merchant, Roberts, & Martin, 2020)
- Programs for Men Who Batter (Mederos & Aldarondo 2002)
- Anger Management vs. Domestic Violence Offender Treatment: An Overview (CO Domestic Violence Offender Management Board, 2014)
- Restricting Couple’s Counseling in Domestic Violence Offender Treatment (Victim Representatives of the CO Domestic Violence Offender Management Board, 2009)
- Certified Intimate Partner Abuse Education Programs and Fatherhood Programs: What is the Difference? (MA Department of Public Health, 2019)
- See more...
Responding to COVID-19
- A Message from Beltrami County Domestic Violence Court (2020)
- Webinar: Working with Perpetrators during COVID-19: Considerations for US Perpetrator Programs (Global Rights for Women, 2020)
- The Other Side of Domestic Violence: Helping Survivors by Working with Their Abusive Partner – An Approach to Preventing Violence that Can Work, Even During a Pandemic (Areán and Strodthoff, 2020)
- Draft Adaptation of the European Network Guidelines for Working Responsibly with Perpetrators of Domestic Violence During the COVID-19 Pandemic for Consideration by United States Perpetrator Programs (Scaia and Heath, 2020)
- Webinar: Working with Parents Who Have Used Violence During Modified SV&SE Services (Inspire Action for Social Change, 2020) [Slides]
- Domestic Violence Offender Program Observation Form (Center for Court Innovation)
- Domestic Violence Compliance Court Recommended Sanctions for Infractions (Kansas City Municipal Court)
- Domestic Violence Drug Court Recommended Sanctions for Infractions (Kansas City Municipal Court)
- Clay County Domestic Violence Court Sanctioning Matrix (Moorehead, MN)
- Key Papers on APIP Standards
- Assessing States’ Intimate Partner Violence Offender Treatment Standards using a Principles of Effective Intervention Framework (Richards et al., 2021)
- Standards for Treatment with Court Ordered Domestic Violence Offenders (CO Domestic Violence Offender Management Board, 2020)
- Domestic Violence Perpetrator Programs: A Proposal for Evidence-Based Standards in the United States (Babcock et al., 2016)
- Punishment or Rehabilitation?: The Case for State-Mandated Guidelines for Batterer Intervention Programs in Domestic Violence Cases (Dekki, 2004)
- Treating Female Perpetrators: State Standards for Batterer Intervention Services (Kernsmith and Kernsmith, 2009)
- See more...
- Abusive Partner Intervention and Engagement Self-Assessment: Revisiting Goals, Challenges, and Progress in Community Responses For communities that have an abusive partner intervention program, a self-assessment is an opportunity to revisit the values, goals, and objectives your community has in place for abusive partner accountability, engagement, and programming; the overall progress towards those goals; and the role of the community in supporting programs. This self-assessment, rooted in the Abusive Partner Accountability and Engagement Training and Technical Assistance project's set of guiding principles, is meant to act as a guide and a living document from which system and community-based enhanced responses to accountability and engagement can emerge.
- Abusive Partner Intervention and Engagement Self-Assessment: Facilitation in Abusive Partner Intervention Programs A companion document to the community self-assessment, this document allows facilitators of abusive partner intervention programs to assess their skills and training needs.
Please email email@example.com to access this resource.
Understanding Abusive Partners
‘I Don’t Want to Hit My Children. I Don't Want to Hit Anybody.’ (Snyder, The New York Times, 2021
- Can Domestic Abusers Keep Themselves Accountable When No One is Watching? (Snyder, The New Yorker, 2020)
- Can Batterers Be Rehabilitated (Center for Court Innovation featuring David Adams, 2012)
- Why Does He Do That? Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men (Bancroft, 2003)
- Motive of Those Who Batter in Your Group Room (Family Peace Initiative, 2020)
- See more...
- Initial Lessons Learned from Using Video Conferencing Software to Deliver Interventions for Men Using Violence in Intimate Relationships (Bellini and Westmarland, 2020)
- Webinar: Utilization of Videoconferencing Software for Men’s BIPs: Summary of Experiences and Research to Date and COVID-19 Considerations (Scaia et al., 2020)
- Remote Abusive Partner Intervention Programs for Underserved Communities (Center for Court Innovation, Updated 2022)